In this hands-on workshop participants transform their existing WordPress website using WordPress themes. Whether it’s a simple one or two-page site, or a more complex portfolio site, the presenter shows examples of some WordPress themes that will make your website more attractive, functional, and accessible. A prerequisite to this workshop is that you have installed WordPress on your UNF Faculty Domain.
Getting Started with a New Theme (ideas)
- WordPress.com Get Personality
- WordPress Theme Repository
- Free vs. “Lite” vs. Premium
- Free themes are usually adequate but limited.
- Lite themes are good, but will tempt you to buy.
- Premium themes cost money but can be worth it – though some may be complex.
Features (theme dependent):
- Featured Images
- Header Images, Logos, and Banners
- Favicons (site icons)
- Templates (not be confused with UNF Faculty Templates)
UNF Faculty Domains Look and Feel Help with:
- Magazine – http://studentjournalism.domains.unf.edu/
- One Page (requires a manual install – instructions) – demo – http://dogoodwork.online/bigpicture/
- “Traditional” Blog Themes – Wilson or Hemingway
- Or some accessibility themes – https://domains.unf.edu/domain/wordpress-themes-and-plugins-for-accessibility/
- Jetpack – https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack/
- Social Icons – https://wordpress.org/plugins/social-icons/
- PDF Embedder – https://wordpress.org/plugins/pdf-embedder/
- Customizer Reset – https://wordpress.org/plugins/customizer-reset-by-wpzoom/